A Month in Reflection – Scholar Achievements (April 2021)
Over the past month, our scholars have achieved some incredible feats:
Journalism & Media:
- Nimra Shahid – MA Interactive Journalism – Awarded the Student Journalism Amnesty Media Award for her hard hitting piece in the Guardian (see here)
- Sabah Choudhury – MA Broadcast Journalism – Recently took on her new role at Sky News and interviewed Huda Kattan in relation to social media filters and unrealistic body standards and Dr Brian May on the impact of the coronavirus lockdown on mental health.
- Aisha Rimi – MA Magazine Journalism – published her chapter in the novel, ‘Cut from the Same Cloth’ by Sabeena Akhtar (pre-order now)
- Ghada Eldemellawy – MA in Directing Documentaries – was shortlisted for the BAFTA Short Film Award for her documentary titled ‘Miss Curvy’. Read more here.
- Nahim Ahmed – MSc Strategic Management of Projects – was featured on ITV News in relation to the issues surrounding youth engagement and knife crime in London (see here)
- Ayesha Ulhaq – MA Social Science Research – secured a PhD offer from the Open-Oxford-Cambridge Doctoral Training Partnership with Everyday Muslim Heritage & Archive Initiative at the University of Cambridge for a Project on Making British Islam Across Generations
- Usmaan Mufti – LLM Islamic Law – worked on the Muslim Census report titled ‘A Year of Lockdown – The Impact on Muslims’
- Rakin Sayed – MA Strategic Communications – recently worked as part of the team responsible for setting up the first ever Muslim-friendly marketplace, Ummazing